Friday 4 July 2014

Being a flaneur in Newcastle ...





arrived in Newcastle yesterday - I made my way to the Travelodge, clutching my India grip, breathing the northern air - 

Newcastle Central Station was like a noble temple, a reef of severe stone - 

Strolling in Quayside, I gazed at the iconic bridges - that evening there was a crescent moon in the pale sky - 

Today, I spoke to two women in The Sage - above us were swooping galleries of glass and chrome - 

In The Baltic, I stared down at the city from the viewing box - I could see the river and the graceful whip of the Millenium Bridge -

By chance I entered the library of the Philosophical and Literary Society -statuary adorned the marble stairs - bearded philanthropists were depicted in dark oils - 

In The Great Northern Museum, there were relics from The Wall - there was a stone head of Dionysus - I avoided the god's wild blank stare -

I supped on seabass in The Big Mussel, listening to Chet Baker - 

Neptune stood upon the portico of the Fish Market, now a teeming eatery - wedding parties spilled from pink stretch limos -  

I'm now on the Metro to Tynemouth - it's raining - 

The rest of the walking gang are on their way - 

3.52
July 4 2014

Benton
Newcastle Metro

Hadrian's Wall 2014 (2)








No comments:

Post a Comment