Sunday 28 April 2013

I feel, when leaving for the airport, that I am in a film made by Wim Wenders - 




Just over two weeks ago, I drove to Gatwick Airport - as I drove along the motorway, overtaking petrol tankers, I turned up the volume of my car CD player - I listened, intently, to David Bowie singing Love Is Lost - I heard, as though it was meant for me, the lyric - The voice of youth, the hour of dread -

I became full, that moment, with wild excitement and sadness - I could see myself, in a movie, one made by Wim Wenders -

There I was, driving fast, listening to music - the beautiful white jets waited for me upon the runways - if I looked up, I could see my pale face reflected in the rear view mirror -

There was no sign in that face of the secrets my mind contained, nor of the fears that haunted it -

For the moment, I was a figure in a film, moving quickly across a landscape of flyovers and shopping malls -

In the next scene, I would be looking out of the cabin window in a jet - my heart would be soothed by the pure lines of a tail fin - my fears would be lost in the bright smile of the woman who talked to me throughout the flight -

At Dalaman, she said - I would have given you a lift - you would have thought - who is this crazy woman ?



No comments:

Post a Comment