Wednesday 10 April 2013

Swimming in Jane's pool

I scribbled out this poem one Summer in Turkey - I was staying at Jane and Ken's - I stopped worrying about what time it was -



I'm swimming naked in Jane's pool
The water flows over my sunburnt skin -
I tore off my clothes -
I wanted to feel alive -

I float on my back, looking up at the full moon
The night is soft and warm around me -
I see delicate stars

The water gleams when it is stirred by the movements of my legs -
The flow of water and shadows turns my body into a silver figure

The small village is a mile or so away, beyond the dry river bed -
In winter, they beat the red carpets against the stones

The tea gardens are brightly lit in the darkness
Their simple tables are cloaked by vines -
Men play games with wooden counters
Sip teas from teardrops of thin glass -
The call to prayer echoes over the olive trees -

There are women with long hair -
They sit on their terraces, high above the street of shops
They tell each other secrets, smiling at the foreigner -

Whilst here, in this still garden,
In water which reflects the moon,
I am transformed into a creature graceful and alone -
My dull blood singing, all sadness washed away




No comments:

Post a Comment