Sunday 21 April 2013

Snarfing a curry on The South Bank, remembering The New Bengal 






Soon after I discovered beer, I made my first acquaintance with curry - together with Jay and Russell, I stumbled into the louche shadowy interior of The New Bengal - the waiters were clad in neat dark suits, white shirts and narrow ties - lamps cast a subdued reddish light - Matthew, Russell's English Sheepdog, a noble creature, waited for us in the Triumph Herald -

The other late night patrons of the New Bengal either lolled or sat bolt upright upon their chairs - they were mostly young men - they could have been bravos in Marlowe's Deptford - their eyes narrowed when they saw us -

We breezed in, clearly drunk, arguing about Coleridge - the bravos relaxed when we ordered lagers and meat tindaloos -

I'd never eaten a curry before - our order was given by Russell - my taste buds were duly incinerated by the dish - but I was hooked - I became a lover of curry -

I continued going to The New Bengal for a number of years - I'm sure Russell once took a frozen chicken from out of the freezer at back - he tucked the icy rugby ball of meat under his velvet jacket - the calm waiters were always exquisitely courteous -

I have since come to appreciate that curry is a subtle dish - I went on a curry cooking course in Alexandra Palace - I became a Spice Monkey -

Recently, I snarfed a delicious Mauritian curry on The South Bank - I was loitering in The Alchemy Food Village - the South Bank was hosting the Alchemy Festival - 

The curry simmered and rippled in a huge pan, as big as a dustbin lid - chunks of lime floated upon the potent contents -

I was cheerily warned about the mango paste - it's very intense - I turned it down - I ate my curry in the open air - spring had at last turned up -

I looked around me at my fellow diners - most of them were creatives - I scooped up my wonderful curry, looking forward to meeting Jay, Sophie and Paul -







1 comment:

  1. We two have been eating curry for a long time....do you remember the three of us in the Triumph after an evening in the Village Home, probably on the way to the New Bengal, stopping someone in the High St to ask the way to Mordor? Playing Carmina Burana on the cassette machine? Pretentious gits we were....

    ReplyDelete