Thursday 29 September 2016

Southsea Poets in the Jackhouse Gallery ...



I'm standing with a bumper in the Jackhouse Gallery - 

The Southsea poets have their words ready, like bright birds in their pockets - 

On the white Walls of the gallery are paintings and drawings of dockyard people - 

The artist has a humane yet piercing eye - lumpen tender figures stand before grey ships and tall cranes like iron trees - 

The poets read their words - 

I think of my grandad in the blacksmith shop, my dad arguing with the Port Admiral - 

My own history is touched upon here - 

I look up to see if I can see them, my grandfather and his sons - 

There they are, gentle, quietly spoken, standing before a wall of chains -


19.39
Thursday 29 September 2016

The Jackhouse Gallery
Old Portsmouth
Hampshire   



No comments:

Post a Comment