Friday 30 September 2016

His jacket was the colour of the sun ...



Soon, not now, but soon, my dad may need a walking frame - 

This morning, I went to the Red Cross in Civic Centre Road - 

I carried the frame out to the red wounded beast - 

There were mobility scooters parked outside the Health Centre - 

Sudden bursts of rain swept over the town - 

I'd had a late breakfast special in Poppins -

I remembered how my dad had been a keen walker - 

Every weekend, he and his friend, Tom, had gone for walks in the country-

They'd finish the walk with a few pints in a free house - 

He'd walked with a rapid stride - 

imagined him, swiftly climbing a hill under a summer sky - 

Below him were golden fields - 

His jacket was the colour of the sun - 


11.45
Friday 30 September 2016

Havant 
Hampshire 




No comments:

Post a Comment