Sunday 29 December 2013

Wareham characters ...




Over the last three years, ever since my retirement, I've had the opportunity to study many Wareham characters 

There's the road sweeper, who always wears a leather cowboy hat - he's tall and thin, with an austere expression - I see him, on Wareham Quay, wreathed in seagulls - 

Outside Farwells, the newsagents, I'll see a man with the wounded face of a castaway - he wears a venerable Barbour and has mad blue eyes - his rug is like matted felt - he roams the town, a sort of Holy Fool, unsettling shoppers with his fierce stare - 

I'll bump into Jocelyn, emerging from The Rex - she has a plummy voice and startling hair, dyed jet black - she was an actress in the 1940's - she once played the part of Sally Bowles - now in her eighties, her second home is this small quirky cinema - she'll be sipping her bumper of red when she hands over your ticket - ah, Christopher Bradley she'll drawl - 

On my way to Sainsburys , I'll have to pass the Bosnian Big Issue Lady - she has a large brown face, an air of patient suffering - she'll be smiling her hopeful yet guarded smile - how can I resist her? 

Ah, I have many little ones my youngest one is ill, in hospital God bless you Happy  Merry Christmas God bless you 

She's wearing a black jacket and denim skirt - she could be standing on the Kreshchatik 

I see her from inside the warm red Peugeot when it's raining - the radio's on, icy rain drops run down the windows - she sees us, waving, greeting us - 

God bless you God bless you 

No comments:

Post a Comment