Monday 2 December 2013

Changing my tweed jacket for a kimono in the Great Court of the BritishMuseum ...



Napoleon said the Piazza San Marco was "the drawing room of Europe" - for me, the Great Court of the British Museum is the drawing room of London - 

Whenever I'm in London, I visit the Museum - I gaze at the Winged Bulls from the palace of Sargon II - they have the faces of grave counsellors - I then immerse myself in the classical world, feeling the weight of a silver tetradrachm in my hand, marvelling at a bronze mask of Dionysos, seeing Darius flinch before Alexander's stare -

But this time, whilst I sipped a latte in the Court, I was thinking about the floating world -

I'd spent the last dream filled hour in a reverie, feasting my eyes on prints of serene Japanese girls, entwined with their lovers -

I'd tiptoed round the dimly lit space, fearful that I'd disturb those rapt, ecstatic, couples -

I put down my exhibition guide with a sigh - I pictured myself wearing a kimono, not a green tweed jacket - a soft voice would whisper in my ear -

Above me, the glass roof showed the tranquil sky, a marvellous soothing blue, soft white clouds - I closed my eyes, feeling my heart leap like a young hare -




No comments:

Post a Comment