Sunday 10 March 2013

Rushton Common and Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid







Last November, I went for a walk on Rushton Common - I parked the red Peugeot next to Holme Bridge - I stared at the stone arches of the bridge, at the bright river water reflecting nearby trees - the current of the river was slow and thoughtful - delicate ripples creased its surface - I saw, very dimly - or perhaps  I imagined it - the movement of fish through the water - I felt the sly touch of river weed upon their delicate bodies -

For a moment,  I thought of Tom, in The Water Babies, talking to the Caddis Fly - a rainstorm had prompted Tom to swim to the deep sea - I remembered that even Grimes was given the opportunity to redeem himself - in my dreams as a boy, I had clearly seen Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid -

I set off then, into the water meadows of Rushton Common - an oxbow lake glittered amongst low twisted trees - the water of the lake glittered between banks of weed and fallen branches - ivy snaked skywards - the grass beneath my boots was soft, oozing water -

I saw clouds reflected in wide shallow pools - a bone white tree stump protruded from the marshy turf - the main channel of the river lay over another watery meadow - I could just see its calm, shining, curves -

I could see a line of trees in the distance - beyond the trees lay Rushton Farm - a sky full of thin scales of cloud was above me -

I thought, again, of Tom and Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid - I shivered, and looked up at the sky - yet I must one day meet with her, as we all will -





No comments:

Post a Comment