Thursday 29 November 2012

Surrounded by angels in Swanage, whilst eating fish and chips












I have always enjoyed eating fish and chips -  most of all, on a wind swept beachfront, with a trace of rain in the air - the warmth of the chips in my fingers, the taste of the vinegar, the flakes of fish - all these small things make me feel more alive - 

I think of Peter Falk, in Wings of Desire, rubbing his hands together to make them warm, slurping coffee, talking to Bruno Ganz, who plays the angel, Damiel - telling the angel how wonderful it is to make a line with a pencil, to drink coffee, to be part of humanity, to jump into the river of time - companero, I don't see you, but I know you're there - 

Tessa and I would buy fish and chips in Swanage - we'd stand inside The Fish Plaice - out of the wind, watching the gulls blown into the town - we'd watch the brawny young men behind the counter serve their customers - pony tailed young men would ask for scampi - large young women would ask for a battered sausage -

We'd eat our cod and chips outside, keeping an eye out for the gulls - in the sky, we'd see huge clouds, like it was the end of the world -

Along the seafront was the Sea Breeze Beach Shop, selling lager, beer and cider - skinny boys, huddled in the beach shelters, smoked roll ups - their shaved heads were cowled by grey hoodies -

I'd snarf the my chips and cod like a starving zek - Tessa would squeeze the bright red tomato ketchup from the miserly sachet - we'd grin at each other -

In my head, I was repeating those wonderful lines from the movie - companero, I don't see you, but I  know you're there - 

How many invisible angels, I wondered, were around us, as we stood upon this chilly esplanade?




No comments:

Post a Comment