Sunday 18 November 2012

Icons of Dot Cotton, Catherine Middleton, Prince William, Jesus and all the angels 











I've seen shops before where you might buy religious artefacts - down the Frezzeria, just off San Marco, I'd once come across a tiny cave of a shop, with small statues of saints displayed in the window - you could see, too, in marvellous tiny detail, the instruments of the saints' matyrdom - for example, St Lawrence's grid iron, St Appllonia's pincers, St Agatha's shears -

The Frezzeria was thronged with visitors - there was a gigantic Russian cruise ship, overtopping the Doge's Palace - but I took no notice of the Rus - I was looking up at the venerable apartments above the shops - the street was barely six feet wide - the flagstones beneath my feet were in shadow - I felt as though I was walking in a dream -

I saw this shop in Eastbourne - in the window, I saw statues of angels and the Holy Family, along with missals, communion outfits and icons - there was also a signed photograph of Dot Cotton, from East Enders, or, rather, of the actor playing this part - alongside was a large photograph of Prince William and Catherine Middleton - I wondered if they were the saints of this age, and what would be the instruments of their martyrdom - perhaps a pyre of blazing tabloids -

I noticed that the shop also sold Union Jack ladies' crop tops and shorts -








No comments:

Post a Comment