Monday 28 November 2016

Paul Nash at Tate Britain ...







Jane asked me to tell her about the exhibition *  

Jane I'll say - this afternoon, I saw wonders -  

I saw trees upon whose shining foliage angels might gather - 

I saw two girls walk hand in hand through a secret garden - 

I saw cruel stars above a withered land -   

I saw a terrible sunrise, the birth of a new world - 

traced the course of a road across an unspeakable landscape - 

I saw a hawk gaze into a mirror upon a familiar headland - 

I saw strange interiors, corridors leading to hidden worlds - 

I saw a warship sail into a hotel room -

I saw hooded figures upon a shore, the shadow of an archer upon the spellbound grass - 

I saw a pillar set before an avenue of trees under a white moon - 

I stood next to a dead sea - 

I saw sunflowers like great wheels turning in the sky - 

I was able to hold a flint in my hand and to feel its heartbeat - 


* Paul Nash at Tate Britain


14.30
Monday 28 November 2016

Tate Britain
London






No comments:

Post a Comment