Friday 24 July 2015

Meeting Martin ...




We met Alyson and Martin at the bus stop opposite Rhymers, not far from Burt's Hotel - 

The Number 67 Perryman bus was on time - 

Alyson brimmed with charm and mischief - 

You two are Gosport lads she grinned, looking at me, then at Martin - 

It was true - Martin and I had both gone to Brune Park School - 

We'd both been slippered by Mr Emmanuel, Martin for pushing a boy, myself for skulking and malingering - 

Miss Lowe had terrified us both - she was a tiny woman whose gown gave her two black wings - 

Were you ritually humiliated at the blackboard too? asked Martin - 

Yes - she called me out I said - were you taught by Mr Symonds ?

We called him Frank said Martin - because he looked like a gangster!

I remembered those straining suits - my gang called him Simbo

We fished for names and faces - 

There was a Miss Bursill Martin said - 

I recalled a young woman with thick ankles - 

Then whilst I was thinking it, Martin said the words aloud - 

Most of them must be gone now - 


18.45
Wednesday 1 July 2015

Melrose 



No comments:

Post a Comment