Monday 9 December 2013

Walking in Jane's garden ...

Walking in Jane's Garden







Jane shows me round her garden -
I'm far away from my world of care -
There are the olive trees, she says - Look, there are the orange trees -

I can smell wood smoke in the early morning air -
I can look upon the mountains, with their firs and firebreaks -
I can see the sky is the palest, faintest, blue

I know that down in the valley is the ragged village,
With its tea gardens, jandarma and forge -
The roads are potholed, full of dust, or brimming with floodwater after rain -
 I've seen old men, with dark brown, archaic, faces -
Old women, bent double, under burdens of oak tree branches for their goats -

I've met the village headsman, the mukhtar, so positive and energetic -
Ken, rightly, says he looks like Darren from "Bewitched" -
I  watched it while my mum made me beans on toast, a world ago -

- Jane, when I'm with you in this garden,
Far away from my world of care,
I'm no longer a man cast out of ash -

I can feel every moment like a wonderful story -
I can feel every past happiness and sadness, with no regret or wounding -
I can see your story, too -

Your story shines in the air -
Like the leaves of your olives - silvery grey - beautiful -
Each one perfect - responding to the wind, turning to the sun



No comments:

Post a Comment