Tuesday 27 August 2013

Walking along the Regents Canal ...












Sophie and Paul's shared flat overlooks the Regents Canal - you can loll upon a huge sofa in the living room, looking out at the tow path - louche narrow boats form an exotic community - the calm shining water of the canal is bordered by sleek apartments, mysterious warehouses and atmospheric pubs, torn remnants of a former world -

One Sunday morning, in late April, I stood upon the canal side terrace - trees cast tremulous reflections - in the distance, I could see the towers of Canary Wharf - the night before, they'd looked like brilliantly lit temples, beautiful and heartless -

I saw thin pencils of smoke, rising up from the tin chimneys of the narrow boats - Anne called me inside, to snarf bacon and peppery scrambled eggs - Sophie told us about immersive theatre - I wished I could have experienced The Masque of the Red Death - what wonderful, terrifying, room would I have chosen? -

Later, we raced dangerously along the towpath on Boris Bikes - we passed a floating book shop - word on the water - I imagined browsing through the volumes, the deck rocking beneath my feet -

I stared at the huge exciting skeletons of two gasometers - they were like the ribs of burned out airships -

Skillful speeding cyclists overtook us - we wobbled round dawdling family groups - splendid amazons in lycra ran along the tow path, weaving through gaffers enjoying the sunshine -

We stopped for cappuccinos at a laid back towpath cafe - a drawling siren served us - slender young men studied their i phones - girls smouldered behind their sunglasses - there was luscious pink blossom on the trees - a white jet appeared in the sky like a promise of happiness -








1 comment: