Thursday 1 August 2013

Walking along the chalk ridge, from Corfe to Swanage, dreaming semi tropical dreams ...








A few weeks ago, I walked from Corfe Castle to Swanage, with Anne and Penny - within our rucksacks were comforting flasks, swim suits and towels - it was very hot - I'd taken to wearing sunglasses - there was little or no shade upon the chalk ridge - 

This July, I thought, was a time of weird, uncanny, sunshine - it as though we were in a country under enchantment - the cool Purbeck fields and hills were now scorched, feverish, dreamscapes - I half expected to see Vincent van Gogh, searching the sky for crows - 

We climbed up the side of Challow Hill, then walked along the chalk ridge towards the sea - the dazzling sky seemed to be just above our heads - I could see the torn masonry of the Castle, and the ridge beyond it, sweeping in long curve, like a dark wave, to Worbarrow Bay - 

Penny identified birds and flowers - we saw a strange beautiful wand of purple flowers - Penny said it was a type of wild orchid - I looked out at the winding channels of Poole Harbour - I could see tendrils of reed beds - dark trees covered the islands - every so often we passed huge round bales of hay - sheep grazed upon the dry grass - 

The path led us past tumuli and barrows - I stood on top of one of the domes of turf - I picked up a shard of flint - we walked past sinister radio masts - we could see Swanage, with its bay, dotted with yachts - 

We'd put sun screen on our necks and legs - the thought of swimming in the glittering sea spurred me on - we pushed our way through nettles and brambles - my bare legs tingled from the stings - at last we reached the cliffs at the foot of Ballard Down - 

We went down a shady path to the beach - Anne and I scrambled out of our sweaty clothes - we rushed into the sea - I gasped joyfully whilst I swam through the soothing waves - I imagined a semi tropical sea lapping Swanage, the pale nervy townspeople basking upon white sands - brilliant greenery covered the esplanade - glossy creatures were emerging from the water - 








 


No comments:

Post a Comment