Tuesday 16 July 2013

Being beguiled by cats ...



There is something about cats, their sinuous smoothness perhaps, or their unfathomable glowing eyes, that has always beguiled me - Herodotus describes the island temple of the cat Goddess, Bast - the festivals of the Goddess were celebrated with feasts of drunkenness - the deity has the body of a woman - she clasps a sistrum, to accompany the dancing of her worshippers -

Doctor Johnson had cherished his cat, Hodge - I can imagine the creepy yet charming Bozzy jealously eyeing Hodge - Goldy would be sipping tea in the morning room -

Christopher Smart's cat, Jeoffry, danced in my dreams - I thought of the curable patient, taking comfort from the delicate creature -

There'd been cats in my life, too - I'd been welcomed home from school by our burly street wise tabby - he'd walk with me, whilst I delivered newspapers - my mum said that he lived almost long enough to go to University -

And here in Split, there were cats - I saw them, elegant slim spirits - dozing upon ancient stones - leaping between worlds -

No comments:

Post a Comment