Thursday 30 May 2013

Listening to David Bowie's The Next Day, entering the hospital world




For the last two weeks, whenever I was driving somewhere, I made a point of listening to David Bowie's The Next Day -

The songs seemed especially poignant - sung just for me - songs for a time when I am leaving gentle Wareham for the hospital world -

I bought the CD around the time the date for my colonoscopy was confirmed - the gentle nurse joshed me about the Picolax I would have to take - this potent powder, dissolved in water, would wash out my bowel -

I can remember the first time I had a colonoscopy, three years ago to the day I'm writing this - I had almost cracked up in the dark hospital car park - the screen had shown my tumour - I did not have the courage to look up at the cancerous polyp -

Now, it's time for further surveillance - so, this afternoon, like a nervy Dr Jekyll, I will drink the lemony fluid -




No comments:

Post a Comment