Saturday 15 May 2021

Frank Coopers Vintage Oxford Marmalade ...





Every morning my dad would walk to Spire News -

He'd climb the bridge at Bedhampton Gates -

Waver along the pavement like a wounded bird - 

A bit fresh he'd say when ice lacquered windscreens - 

He'd gaze at a ziggurat of Daily Mails -

Times please he'd say, handing over coins warmed in his pockets -

They know him well there -

Back home, he'd have his rasher -

Then toast with marmalade - 

Frank Coopers Vintage Oxford Marmalade -

When I have my toast, I make sure I have this marmalade -

I remember him - 

Turning the pages of The Times - 

The brightly lit room - 

My mum bringing him his rasher - 

His tweed jacket hanging on its peg in the hall -


Sunday 28 February 2021


The Old School House 

East Stoke 

Dorset 

No comments:

Post a Comment