Thursday 28 February 2019

Reassured by Java ...




I climbed the hills holding the brave words -

Letter boxes bit my fingers -

I caught brief glimpses of pinched lives -

Maisonettes with the curtains drawn -

Mattresses left in a front garden -

A Jack Russell barking behind a door -

A man with a face carved out of bleached wood -

Shoes left out in the rain -

Notices saying no doorstep traders -

Morning television's shiny faces -

I needed the reassurance of Java -

Flowers in a vase -

A silky cappuccino -

Ambient music -

Angela Carter's Nights in the Circus -

I remembered Anne's words in a different place -

This is a place of haves -

Here everyone is someone who has -

Two Nations, I thought -

I sipped my cappuccino -

I wrapped myself in a corduroy coat -

I thought of buying a pork pie hat -


Thursday 28 February 2019

Swanage
Dorset



No comments:

Post a Comment