Saturday 6 January 2018

Going to Java ...




After we'd rolled up our banner, we went to Java

We'd worked the pavements, gathering a hundred signatures for the petition - 

Lee had charmed oldsters with his gentle smile - 

Dads pushing buggies had growled the cuts must stop

A visitor from Wales said so you're not all blue -

The comrade from Worth Matravers sang the first verse of the Internationale

Once more, I felt part of a movement

I was doing something

I remembered the shining shirt cuffs of Richard Drax, Michael Tomlinson's pink chin - 

Grizzled men took down the Christmas lights - 

It got colder - 

Icy waves broke upon the town beach - 

Inside Java I sipped a cappuccino worthy of Old Street - 

I forgot, for a while, the lounge of memory - 


12.30
Saturday 6 January 2018

Java Independent Coffee House
Swanage
Dorset
 




No comments:

Post a Comment