Tuesday 18 July 2017

Lost domains ...



I've started reading Le Grand Meaulnes

I first opened these yellowed pages forty one years ago - 

They still have the fragrance of that boozy magical summer - 

Yet I never did more than skim through the slender chapters - 

There was too much to see, too many evenings when I was beguiled - 

So many years, I think, each one a torn cobweb of memory - 

I think of my own lost domains - 

I remember the trees I climbed as a weightless boy, my leafy kingdoms filled with green sunlight - 

I remember the starry skies of warm nights, when I walked with bold companions past sleeping houses - 

I remember dancing to languid music with my eyes closed - 

I remember driving a blue car without lights down midnight roads - 

I remember listening to soft laughter in darkened rooms - 

I remember looking up at the moon whilst swimming in a marble pool - 

I remember kicking aside fallen leaves in Autumn streets - 

Each one had written on it some remembrance, some clue to what I'd lose - 


20.50
Tuesday 18 July 2017

The Old School House
East Stoke
Dorset 


No comments:

Post a Comment