Monday 21 October 2013

Geoff Achison at "The Golden Eagle" ...





The Golden Eagle is just around the corner from where Richard lives - when I first went there, I was more than a little apprehensive -

Richard had painted a vivid picture of a raffish, edgy, drinking den - I expected to see geezers, rough diamonds, smouldering women - frenzied boys might be playing passionate guitars - Spike might be igniting aerosols to end the disco - Lou might offer me a chilli vodka -

It was all of this, and more - I felt immediately home in the crowded bar, jostled by tipsy blues lovers - a calm boy served pints of Traitors Gate - Phil and Richard joshed each other mercilessly - I'm only sayin!

Varnsey would love this pub, I thought - Cliff was generous with his lock ins - I often reeled out after midnight -

When Geoff Achison and The Soul Diggers played there, I wanted the music to go on forever - he played his guitar like a noble savage - there were wild cries and whistling from the audience at the end of every song - encore followed encore -

In my dreams that night, I headed a band, playing fearless guitar - Richard and Phil were backing vocals - Cliff was playing bass -





No comments:

Post a Comment