Sunday 30 December 2012

Being a flaneur in Clapton







In October, I stayed with Jay and Bridget in Clapton - Sophie and Tessa had arranged for me to go on a day's cooking course, learning how to make a proper curry - one made with real spices, great pungent coils of squashed garlic and ginger, lavish handfuls of fenugreek seeds -

The course was held near Alexandra Palace, and staying with Jay and Bridget meant that I would not be catching the very early morning train from Wareham - I had caught this train many times, going to conferences in London, when I was a headteacher - I would, I swear, see two or three hedgehogs waiting to catch the train with me - they might be reading the Daily Mail -

I was, therefore, very grateful to Jay and Bridget for putting me up the night before the course - whilst there, I took the opportunity to wander round Clapton - I felt that I could have spent days looking at the small food shops, the taxi joints, fish bars, internet cafes, social clubs, phone card joints, berbers, Mediterranean food stores 

I watched, very closely, the people going past me, entering and leaving these places, going about their business - I saw dark faces, wonderful hair, base ball caps, immense white trainers, powerful dogs, squadrons of BMWs - I heard languages other than English, accents other than those heard in my rural retreat -

I wandered along the cosmopolitan pavements - I wanted to enter every one of those places I saw - I wanted to ring up an aunt in Kinshasa, to play pool in a room full of smoke, to drink Tyskie on the upper deck of a red bus -

I thought of all those years when I'd worn a suit -  but now I had sworn never to wear socks - this was a mark of my new freedom -







2 comments:

  1. Much more on Clapton please, but bear in mind that your report is already out of date in some respects - the forces of gentrification are gathering apace - the cats cradle hands have gone, and the building they were on is now a very hip cafe, so hip that the external decor has been made to look even more distressed than in your picture.... I'd like to post some more pictures of our wonderful neighbourhood, but not sure it will let me. Happy New Year to the best new blogger on the web!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I look forward very much to returning to Clapton ...

    ReplyDelete