Thursday 22 March 2018

The whiteness of chalk ...





I'm watching the sunlight fall on the water - 

A chill stream flows over a bed of pebbles into the cove - 

on the slipway a fishing boat waits for the tide - 

Sometimes the water is a milky turquoise, then, once more, a steely blue - 

On the far side of the cove, hidden amongst low trees, is a stone house with a secret garden - 

The gate into the garden is opened once a year - 

I can hear waves hissing over the shingle - 

Seaweed has been cast up by last night's storm - 

I'm sitting here, missing the warmth of my grandson in my arms - 

I think how fragile yet how strong and strange love is - 

In a few moments, I will smell the salt in the wind blowing over the water - 

I will walk upon stones smoothed by the sea - 

I will feel the whiteness of the chalk - 


14.32
Thursday 15 March 2018

Lulworth Cove 
Dorset 




No comments:

Post a Comment