Friday 15 December 2017

Innocence like a golden crown ...





Winter sunlight fell upon the Minster - 

I remembered past summers when all the songs I heard were new - 

I wrapped my green scarf more tightly around my neck - 

Old houses were silent, bathed in memory - 

I looked up at the leafless trees - 

The sky was a pale icy blue - 

Soon children would sing inside the Minster -

Their voices would rise to the stars above their heads - 

All my Christmas mornings came back to me - 

There were the presents under my parents' Christmas Tree - 

I switched on the torch once more which had a beam a mile long

I went away to sea again with Slippery Sam

I wore my innocence as if it were a golden crown - 


11.33
Friday 15 December 2017

Wimborne Minster
Dorset 




No comments:

Post a Comment