Thursday 29 June 2017

The truest sentence I know ...



I'm reading A Moveable Feast

In The Salt Pig, I try to think of the truest sentence I know - 

The slim waitress brings me a cappuccino without being asked - 

The town hall clock strikes eleven - 

A few members of the crossword gang are here - 

The young man with the dark glasses says his eyesight is no better - 

The Salvationist who looks like a weather worn mariner is standing outside the Post Office - 

I'd bought a War Cry

God Bless he'd said -  

I'd always thought that Hemmingway was overrated - 

Those photographs of him with his beard and boozy grin put me off reading anything he'd written - 

But here it is - that sentence - I'm thinking of it now - 

Memory is hunger

There's Hemmingway, poor and happy, with Hadley in Paris - 

For me, too, I thought, there was a time when there was no false spring - 

Summer came one midnight over the fragrant orchards - 

That autumn, golden apples weighed down the gentle trees - 


11.00
Thursday 29 June 2017

The Salt Pig
Wareham 
Dorset 







No comments:

Post a Comment