Monday 24 April 2017

The blue certificate ...



I place the blue certificate upon the mantlepiece - 

Bravery Award it reads - bravery in the face of adversity

I remembered the swollen face inches from my own, the unreality of the moment, John Hallam's land ship in the car park - 

I felt spittle upon my cheek - I heard the absurd obscenities - 

This is like a film, I thought - this is not happening - 

But there he was, the dad come to sort out the teachers

There I was, saying you can't come in

A few weeks later, he was run out of the estate - 

Graffiti said he was a grass

That, or he'd stolen someone's book

Next morning Mike presented me with the award - 

The staff clapped and cheered - 

These are my people I thought - 

They deserve awards far more than me - 


19.30
Monday 24 April 2017

The Old School House
East Stoke 
Dorset 


No comments:

Post a Comment