Monday 2 September 2013

Sailing close hauled ...



I'd never imagined that I would sail a yacht - for many years I avoided all forms of physical activity - at school I hid in the Science Prep rooms whenever PE loomed - the kindly Biology teacher covered for me - I happily cleaned out the tanks in which frogs and toads were kept - I grew very fond of these undemanding, luckless, creatures -

The idea of sailing a yacht, or, indeed, being on a yacht, was simply one that never entered my head - Anne once took me to Itchenor, where her dad sailed - yachts with ripe spinnakers leapt across the waves - but all I cared about was the scent and feel of Anne's skin -

Years later, Anne and I flew to Corsica, with Sophie and Tessa - Jane and Ken had invited us to stay upon their yacht - it was a beautiful vessel, with teak decks and two masts - one night, when we were anchored off the coast, south of Ajaccio, we saw shooting stars - a warm resinous wind blew across the bay - dark pine trees covered the steeply sloping shore -

But it was Anne who got me sailing, for real - my delight now is to sail close hauled, the yacht heeling over, with perhaps the main sail reefed, the genoa taut - every sense alert - no longer a pale apparatchik, but someone alive, sun burnt, full of joy -

I wish I could steal back in time, to meet my younger self - I would do my best to shake up that pale, frightened, creature - 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I read sailing as a metaphor for living, and sailing close hauled as representing those moments, often very short-lived, when you feel, not exactly in control of things, but that you are surfing the complexities of life successfully - that you are in fact alive, rather than 'being lived'. Also, your use of technical terminology is impressive - what is a genoa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A genoa is another word for the jib - I like its spirit far more than that of the rather flat, "jib" - the fore sail of a yacht!
    You're right, of course! - it is a metaphor - I also am thinking about what Gurdjieff said about the importance of being "awake" - not being asleep all your life!
    Sailing close hauled, to me, has the same feeling as when you are on a horse, and just switching from a canter to a gallop - the feeling of fear and excitement, both sensations experienced at once!

    ReplyDelete