Monday 14 January 2013

Being calmed by horses






I started riding so as to chase the blues away - when I was on horseback, my thoughts were only of the moment -

When I stood next to my horse, I could feel the warmth of the beautiful creature's breath against my face - I could smell its sleek sides - I could twine its mane about my fingers - I could be transported into a state of joy and terror by its fast movement -

I learned to ride in a small, eccentric, establishment outside Punnett's Town - for a number of weeks I rode round and round in the sand school - I learned never to slouch when I was on horseback - I slowly mastered the sitting trot and the rising trot - in order to improve my confidence, I was made to trot without stirrups - I also rode bareback - I could feel the horse's muscles and skin move against my legs -

I used to go riding with a colleague from school, Jan - she taught Geography - we were taught by David, a slender boy, who used to smoke whilst cantering - David's teaching techniques were quirky, yet very effective - his horse was a noble being, with a very gentle nature - my horse, Toffee, had a surprising turn of speed and a sullen attitude - he threw me off his back a number of times -

I loved most of all to canter along the side of the big field near the stables - Jan said that the smooth motion was  like being on a rocking horse - I found it wonderful and calming -

When we galloped, I would lean forward, raising myself slightly, pushing with my legs - Toffee's hooves would kick up bits of turf and mud - the wind would whip against my face - I would be beside myself with excitement - how could I ever be sad again?

These gentle horses are pastured in the field opposite our house - they watch me come and go - they seem lonely sometimes in their field - when I stroke their noses, or feed them chunks of carrot, I feel at peace with myself - I imagine looking at the world through their eyes -

When I do so, I feel the beat of my heart, the movement of my blood - I know that I am no longer covered with a layer of ash - I can feel things simply and without pain -







No comments:

Post a Comment